Saturday, February 8, 2014

February 8, 2014 Pleasantly surprised

Today I attended my very first meeting of a writers' group, not knowing what to expect, and not knowing if it was something I would repeat...but knowing it was a step I needed to take.

I figured that keeping it in my local area would be my best approach, at least until I got me feet wet.  What a pleasant surprise! 

It wasn't so much a business meeting (though there were a few minutes devoted to it), as an opportunity to learn from a published author. 

Sally Carpenter writes what is called cozy mysteries and has also studied acting.  Her information on character development was extremely helpful and comes at a perfect time for me as I move to the editing and "fleshing out" phase of my first novel. 

She also provided some helpful information regarding publishing, the pitfalls of the various methods, and the things she's learned through her own experiences.

I came away from the meeting feeling energized, and with a sense of purpose as to who I need to contact for help and advice in those areas where I'm weak (marketing, for one!). 

I also came away feeling very grateful for my years of blogging, the Ultimate Blog Challenge, and the wonderful people I've met and stayed in touch with from that experience.  That experience, alone, has, in some ways, put me ahead of the game.  What I need to learn now is how to expand my readership and followers, and to start soliciting guest bloggers, and maybe doing more guest blogs of my own.

So thank you, Conejo Valley Writers, for allowing me to share some of your hard won knowledge, and to feel encouraged that many of the things I've been doing, just because it seemed like the right thing to do, may well be, the right thing to do to get my writing out to the wider public!

Write on!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! Your input means a great deal to me and I will endeavor to respond to you as soon as I can!