Saturday, March 8, 2014

March 8, 2014 Why do I write?

I followed a link to a blog post on Linked In about why we write, and after leaving a comment, realized I needed to say the same thing here.  The question was (as you can see in the title) "Why do I write?"

The respondent's list of reasons made me think, but unlike so many of the lists I create, I could only come up with one answer to this question.

I write because I need to write, nearly as much as I need to breathe. 

I shoved it aside for years, then got minimal satisfaction writing a section of my former company's proposals until, finally, I realized it wasn't enough and that I was suffocating.  So I did the unthinkable (after much soul searching and finding something I wrote 20 years ago, saying I just needed to write!).  I quit my job, took a gigantic leap of faith and decided that, one way or another, it was going to work out for me.  Of course, this was done AFTER the kids were grown and gone! 

So, here I am, almost exactly three months later, with my first draft complete, maybe 1/5 of the way through the first pass at editing, working with a friend and marketing expert to develop a marketing plan, and taking myself as a writer very seriously.   So seriously, in fact, that while on a cruise, a man saw my iPad and asked about the internet connection, my response was that I had brought it for the word processing function.  He asked if I was an author, and I responded "Unless you count my blog, not yet, but I am a Writer!" 

That's right, folks.  Without even thinking about it, I told a perfect stranger that I am, indeed, a Writer.  Not an accountant dabbling in writing, or a writer and accountant at the same time.  No, I am, simply and totally, in my mind anyway, a writer!

Write on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! Your input means a great deal to me and I will endeavor to respond to you as soon as I can!